How to recognise a food Intolerance
Adverse reactions to foods are becoming more common in recent times. As opposed to an allergic reaction that can show up immediately and can be life threatening, food intolerances are an immune reaction that can show up gradually and are to foods that are generally considered healthy and which wouldn't usually pose a threat to the general population.
There are many different signs and symptoms to look out for and quite often they are symptoms that you would not normally associate with an immune reaction.
The symptoms can include:
- Abdominal pain
- Breathing difficulties
- Constipation and diarrhoea
- Fatigue & lethargy
- Fluid retention
- Gastric ulcers
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Coeliac Disease
- Crohn’s Disease
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Multiple sclerosis
However symptoms can vary dramatically and people can respond very differently even to an intolerance of the same food. There are many people can live with the symptoms of food intolerance reactions for years and not even know that they are reacting to a food but lots of people report feeling more energetic, improved vitality and better weight control once they have gotten their intolerances
Some of the most common foods to be intolerant too
- Eggs and Dairy
- Grains and legumes: barley, beans, corn, wheat, rye, spelt, gliadin, oat, rice, soya bean
- Fruits and Vegetables: Avocado, apple, broccoli, berries (strawberry, raspberry, blackberry), cabbage, cauliflower, grapefruit, lemon, orange, pea, pear, potato, tomato
- Meat: beef, chicken, lamb, pork, turkey
- Fish: cod, crab, shrimp, tuna, lobster, prawn, salmon, oysters
- Nuts: almonds, brazil, cashews, hazelnuts, peanuts and pistachio nuts
- Herbs: ginger, garlic, mustard, yeast.
What to do if you suspect that you are intolerant to a food/ number of foods
If you experience any of the above symptoms, all is not lost! It's good that you are recognising that some foods don't sit well with you and you want to figure out which ones. That is where food intolerance testing comes in. This very simple test can help determine which foods are causing you discomfort and the severity of the intolerance. Together I then help you to manage the intolerance usually through doing an elimination and challenge diet and this is when you'll really notice the difference in your vitality and wellbeing.
Please get in touch if you feel yo are experiencing any of these symptoms and would like to discuss intolerance testing.