Wanted to get fit but never known where to start...
Does that sound like you?? well read on
It was certainly me!! Before I took an interest in fitness and going to the gym I would not have been able to tell you the difference between and barbell and dumbell let alone all the other pieces of weight equipment let along what type of exercise I should be doing to lose weight, get fit and tone up.
1. Do weights - lift something heavy. Even if it's 1 or 2kgs doing multiple repetitions it will get harder the more you do. Doing resistance training with weights will help increase your bone density and build your muscles mass. Even doing body weight exercises such as lunges, squats, push ups, dips etc are a great benefit. Don't be scared that it will turn you into a body buiilder it won't, it will just help you create lean, toned muscles. I've been doing weights ever since I started going to the gym about 4 years ago and it's now my favourtie type of exercise. Be sure to leave 24 - 48 hours in between resistance training sessions to let your muscles recover (I hate to say it but recovery is more important than the workout)
2. Walk, walk and walk some more - People underestimate the power of walking. It not only is a great form of exercise that most people can generally sustain for a longer period of time than say running so going for a 60 minute walk is going to be more realistic, it also helps you mentally and gives you that boost of energy when done first thing in the morning.
3. Do some "huffy puffy" cardio - At least once or twice a week do some sort of cardio that gets your heart rate up to about 70-80% of it's maximum. Whether it be finding a flight of stairs and walking up and down them 10-15 times, doing a boxing class, going for a run, doing interval training. Whatever your level you need to find something appropriate for you. This will not only help you burn fat faster it will also increase your fitness.
4. Have a rest day once a week - Having a rest day gives your muscles and body the time and energy it needs to recover ready for your next session. Start with exercising 4-5 days a week and then build up gradually to 6-7. If you don't want to have a rest day, I love doing yoga or pilates classes as they work on your flexibility and give your muscles a good stretch.
And the main thing above everything else is
5. Whatever you do - ENJOY IT!! - If you don't enjoy the exercsie you're doing then chances are you're not going to want to do it and on those cold winter mornings the doona will get the better of you and you'll stay in bed. Find something you love, be it a walk on the beach, pilates, yoga, favourite gym class and just have fun!!